These gorgeous gooey and chewy cookies, are a delight any day of the year. Fun and simple to make, these are ideal for students and new bakers. My personal secret to get these cookies soft and with a melt-in-the-mouth texture, is to use big chunks of white chocolate and to not over bake them. I think this bake is best served warm, which makes them perfect whilst we are heading into the colder months.
125 grams of margarine
17 grams of soft light brown sugar
150 grams of plain flour
50 grams of strong white bread flour
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
175 grams of white chocolate (chopped into big chunks)
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/ 160ºC fan and line two baking trays with baking parchment. I grease the trays first with margarine or butter to help thebaking parchment stay in place.
2. In a large bowl, cream together both your weighed out margarine and soft light brown sugar until they have a pale and fluffy consistency.
3. Now beat in your one egg into the pale and fluffy mixture formed by the margarine and sugar.
4. Stir in both the plain flour and the strong bread flour until you have a smooth, slightly sticky dough.
5. Fold in your chopped white chocolate to your mixture.
6. You will now be moulding and forming your cookies into their shape for baking. This is made easier if you lightly dust your work surface and the dough with some plain flour, as seen below.
7. Now your work surface is prepared, divide your dough into 12 roughly equal balls and place evenly onto your lined baking trays.
8. Flatten the balls of dough to about 1 to 1.5 cm in thickness and make sure they are evenly spread out on your lined baking trays. This is due to the cookies spreading whilst baking. 9. Bake your cookies in the oven for 10 – 12 minutes. Make sure to check they are cooked by sticking a toothpick through the centre, if the toothpick removes clear then the cookies are baked. If the toothpick is sticky they need more time in the oven. When cooked, they will be soft to touch. Remove from the oven,and after 5 minutes transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
The final result! Perfect for sharing with friends, or keeping all for yourself when it comes to snack time. Or even use as a dessert, by crumbling over the top of your favourite ice cream. Enjoy!